Sunday, October 18, 2009

News From the Poolside

Originally Posted Jul 28, 2009 6:20pm

Though my vegetable garden suffers, its potential for verdant victuals masticated into a wasteland of sad, naked stalks, I raise my head in triumph – the glorious sun has returned to us! I may not have the opportunity to crowd my plate with ratatouille, stuffed squash blossoms, and sun-warmed tomatoes with olive oil and the intoxicating terroir of my own herbs, but I can rejoice in the fact that the little slug-inators have shriveled up and dried into husks of their destructive, slimy selves under the golden Soma rays of mi amigo del sol. Quoth Nelson, “Ha Ha”!

All of this fair weather and warm skin means, of course, that on this twenty-eighth day of July, we went swimming! Amelia, head newly shaved and coated with sunscreen, donned her new beach babe bathing suit and headed to her friend’s pool for a few hours, which was, I must say, the highlight of her summer so far. It’s just too bad we are so close to the end of our brief but much-beloved season before she had her moment in the sun (cliché, I know. My noggin is in overdrive these days). Nonetheless, it was an overdue return to childhood for us all. Here’s to hoping that we have many more before the pumpkins are ready for picking and the days again grow shorter!

Medically speaking, Amelia is doing fabulously. She had her second of three spinal taps (prophylaxis chemotherapy) on Monday, and while she spent the remainder of the day quite unhappy with me and my lack of clairvoyance when it comes to menu planning, she endured the procedure like a champ. She has the last of this spinal tap series scheduled for next Monday – this doesn’t leave me much time to develop my ability to read minds and pack the right lunch. Cross your fingers for me.

Aside from a little bit (ok, a lot) of diva behavior, Amelia is tolerating all of her medicines very well and coping extraordinarily. She has lost all of the twelve pounds that the evil steroids packed on her wee girl frame, and is asking to play soccer again in the fall. I only hope that this becomes the trend and that we can get through my last semester of school unscathed and settle into what is our new normal life.

As always, you are all much appreciated. We think of you all the time, and hope that you are all well and enjoying your summers, wherever and however sunny they may be. Thank you for your thoughts and well-wishes – surely we would not feel so optimistic without your kindness!

No comments:

Post a Comment